Re: New kernel packages available - PLEASE test!

On Wed, Feb 09, 2000 at 10:49:50AM -0500, Daniel Jacobowitz wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 09, 2000 at 09:39:29AM +0100, Hartmut Koptein wrote:
> > > In working on the boot floppies code, I finally sat down and cleaned up the
> > > kernel packages for powerpc.  I've made a set of kernel-patch-2.2.14-powerpc
> >
> > Why not the kernel-image-xxx package? kernel-patch is obsolete. The control
> > with the kernel-image package is much better then with the kernel-patches.
> > You have no dependencies for debmake, kernel-package and some others.
>
> I did try kernel-image packages; I found that kernel-patch worked much
> better.  I've rewritten its rules almost from scratch.  If you really
> want to stick with kernel-image, I suppose that's OK, but there's no
> real reason to have our own full kernel source in the archive when a
> small-in-comparison patch works just fine.  I just need to fix one or
> two buglets in my rules file and it will build all the necessary
> kernels automatically.

err, maybe i misunderstood, but the kernel-image source package only contains
the patches, and will source depend on kernel-source-version to get the full
kernel.

> > Please ask next time the maintainer.
>
> That's why I didn't upload them.  You haven't been around much, and I
> desperately needed 2.2.14 kernels.

How do you solve the problem of kernel-package generated kernel-image being
refused because they don't have a source line in the control file ?

> > > Now I need to fix quik and console-data...
> >
> > I cannot test quik here. console-data is my resort, now that i'm back from holidays.
>
> Console-data may be taken care of.  Joey Hess was working on it all of
> Monday.  I'm seeing right now if it builds.

Last i checked it still didn't work on apus, will check it nextly.

Friendly,

Sven LUTHER