Lombard install, what now?

Trying to install on Lombard I've gotten so as far as getting my disks set
up and unpacking the base installation, but when I reboot with root set to
my root partition, I'm told I need to configure the base installation, and
to reboot with the rescue floppy.  So I set up resc1440.bin as a ramdisk
image, and rebooted with BootX set to use that ramdisk, but then I'm
greeted with a panic 'coz it can't find a valid ramdisk image at 0.

I've double checked that i got the rescue disk image from the right place,
and that I downloaded it as a binary file.

What now?
J.