Re: Questions about install procedure

On Sun, 6 Feb 2000, Hahn Rossman wrote:

> Hello all-
>
>     I'm having difficulty with the terse instructions for installing the
> ppc port of debian. That I found at
> http://www.debian.org/ports/powerpc/inst/pmac
> Is there a more detailed set of instructions for the PPC install
> somewhere else?!?

Well there are but those seem to be the best.  If you are installing on an
iMac then there might be some other instructions.  Look around the list
archives.

> My specific problem with the above is when attempting to download the
> file 'linux' rather than downloading it I start to open a very large
> page of text which is bin hex(?) or some other thing.

Click-hold on the link and choose save link as.  then choose to download it as
source and download it that way.  Netscape on the mac doesn't like to
recognize gz files.  Or to ensure it will work get fetch to download it using
ftp.

> I suspect that
> this is a browser problem (I'm using Netscape 4.7 128) but can't seem to
> change the problem. The other files download fine and wait on my HFS
> partition for the final one 'linux'...
> Any help would be most appreciated In particular I would like to find a
> distribution for the PPC on CD, and also a *much* more detailed set of
> instructions. Thanks

Well i am getting ready to install debian but i have homework right now that
depends on be being able to use my linux partition so I have to wait for now.
If you want a distro on cd there is LinuxPPC (www.linuxppc.com), YellowDog
(www.yellowdoglinux.com), and soon there will be SuSE (www.suse.com)

> Hahn Rossman
>

> --