Sound woes

I'm running potato Debian on a boring beige 8200/120, using the DMA sound
driver compiled into kernel version 2.2.13. Now, it's mostly working very well
--- the general sound quality is pretty good --- but I am having some problems.

You see, it claims to be OSS compatible. It's not particularly. It works okay
if I'm just streaming sound to it but if I try to do anything complex --- like
running esd or xmms --- it's got a nasty tendency to fall over or lock up the
controlling process.

Has anyone else met anything like this?

And is there any way of persuading the Platinum video hardware to do anything
better than a frankly pathetic 640x480?

--
+- David Given ---------------McQ-+ "There is only one thing worse than war,
+- http://wired.st-and.ac.uk/~dg -+