Re: clock troubles under Debian/PowerPC

On Thu, Jan 27, 2000, Ethan Benson <erbenson@alaska.net> wrote:

>seriously though i was having all kinds of wacky trouble with the
>clock under linux until i set the hardware clock to GMT and
>configured linux accordingly..
>
>the only thing I am using macos for at the moment is mail which will
>change as soon as i finish figuring out fetchmail+ promail ;-)  ymmv
>if you use macos more ..

Those problems are partially due to the fact that the inside-kernel time
should be GMT, but the real time clock on Mac is set to local time by
MacOS. So the kernel boots with an incorrect time, and gets "fixed" by
the userland clock program if this one was correctly configured (RTC is
not GMT).

I'm thinking about a way to fetch the timzone used by MacOS from the PRAM
to set a correct GMT kernel time during boot. I've not implemented it yet
however.