Lombard console video initialization?

Has anyone running a Lombard Powerbook with a recent kernel (I'm
running 2.2.14 now) managed to boot and get coherent console mode
video with "No video driver" unchecked in BootX?  (Or else via
yaboot?)  I've noted that atyfb acceleration doesn't get turned on if
I check "No video driver"...  but that's the only way console mode
video is displayed properly.  I've tried tinkering with a number of
variations of the kernel video arguments over time, and none seem to
matter.

Thanks,
John

P.S. In what package does vmode reside?  I believe that I
     inadvertently removed it at some point...