Re: Endianness query

On Tue, 7 Dec 1999, David Given wrote:
> According to my PowerPC architecture manual, the PowerPC can be switched from
> big-endian to little-endian mode. Does PowerPC Linux support this? I have
> heard rumours that the endianness can be switched on a per-process basis. Can
> anyone enlighten me? I could really, really use this.
                       ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Sounds like there are sufficient `really's to have found someone who
volunteers to implement the support :-)

No, Linux/PPC is big endian. Creating a little endian version would amaze the
Debian guys, who are already fighting about supporting all current Linux/MIPS
incarnations (32 bit LE, 32 bit BE and 64 bit) and severely increasing the
required diskspace for mirrors :-)

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,
--
Geert Uytterhoeven -- Linux/{m68k~Amiga,PPC~CHRP} -- geert@linux-m68k.org