Re: Vodoo 2/3 (& other video questions)

On Sun, Nov 21, 1999 at 05:11:58PM -0600, Kevin Puetz wrote:
> How is the outlook for 3d accelleration on debian-ppc?
> I've found some attractive deals on voodoo 2 and 3, and wonder whether I
> can expect (in the moderately near future) to see either or both of these
> cards supported.

I know nothing about the vodoo stuff, but ...

> I saw (on Slashdot) that the voodoo3's drivers and DRI (for Xfree 4.0)
> modules were open-sourced - but I don't know if the code looks portable,
> or if Xfree 4 even works on PPC. So the V3 might show some promise, but

Xfree 3.9.16 works perfectly well on ppc. You have to disable the INT10 stuff
in the i386 emulator for reading graphic boards bioses for now, since it is
i386 only until someone port it to the other arches (it is rumored to have
worked on alphas in the past), or adapt the ppc assembly emulator from gabriel
paubert.

This will permit you (in theory) to use any graphic board in your powermac.

You can get a primitive tarball from :

 * http://n.ethz.ch/student/daenzerm/download/XFree86-3.9.16c-pm2-glibc2.1.tar.g

I wanted to make a debian package (xserver-3.9 or something like that)
containing this stuff, or at least something similar, but didn't get the time
for it, maybe for christmas ...

As for general Xfree4.0/DRI support, best is to get matrox/tnt2 based boards,
but rage128 board seems to be supported also.

You would need mesa3.1 also and the glx stuff.

Friendly,

Sven LUTHER