Re: RS6K PReP boot?

On Sat, 20 Nov 1999, Gerald Turner wrote:
> I have been able to get the Linux kernel to boot using the method
> described at Yellow Dog Linux ("OF> boot floppy:,\ZIMAGE"), though it
> hangs after "copying OF device tree...done" in prom_init.  I suppose this
> is normal considering the images that get this far are compiled for CHRP
> and the F40 appears to be a PReP machine:
>
> [Output from Open Firmware session]
> 0 > pwd / ok
> 0 > .properties
> name                    IBM,7025-F40
> model                   IBM,7025-F40
> compatible              IBM,7025-F40
> clock-frequency         03f940aa
> device_type             prep

Don't worry. My CHRP LongTrail has `prep' in `compatible' as well.

I think you now have to compile your own kernel and add some prom_init() calls
to the code after `copying OF device tree...done' to find out where it hangs
exactly.

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,
--
Geert Uytterhoeven -- Linux/{m68k~Amiga,PPC~CHRP} -- geert@linux-m68k.org