Re: Need your input for keymap configuration

On Tue, Nov 16, 1999 at 08:56:43AM +0100, Hartmut Koptein wrote:
> > As you may have seen from recent bug reports ;), I'm currently adding
> > support for debconf-driven keymap choice to console-data and friends,
> > but need the following help for ppc/m68k machines:
> >
> > * what sub-architectures are there for each arch ?
> >   My guess: m68k -> atari, amiga, sun, next(, mac) ; ppc -> mac, RS/6000
>
> m68k: amiga, atari, mac, bvme*
> powerpc: apus, chrp, pmac, prep (mbx)
>

> > * how may I caracterize each of these archs ?  IIRC I was told about
> >   some field in a /proc file, but I'd need more precise info,
> >   ie. exact strings/regexps to match
> >

> To select it from /proc this will help:
>
> case "$arch" in
>       m68k)
>         # When I was and my heart was an open book, I thought awk was not Essential...
>         # machinemodel=$(cat /proc/hardware | ( read line; set -- $line; if [ "$1" = "Model:" ]; then echo $2 ; fi ))
>         machinemodel=$(awk '/Model:/ { print $2 }' < /proc/hardware)
>         case "$machinemodel" in
>           Amiga) ln -sf amigamouse /dev/mouse ;;
>           Atari) ln -sf atarimouse /dev/mouse ;;
>           Macintosh) ln -sf adbmouse /dev/mouse ;;
>           Motorola|BVME4000|BVME6000) echo "Warning: $machinemodel machines have no supported mouse type." ;;
>           *)
>             echo "Warning: cannot auto-detect mouse; unknown model of Motorola m68k machine."
>             echo "Please send mail to <debian-68k@lists.debian.org> describing your hardware." ;;
>         esac ;;
>       powerpc)
>         machinemodel=$(awk '/^machine/ { print $3 }' < /proc/cpuinfo)
>         case "$machinemodel" in
>           Apus) ln -sf amigamouse /dev/mouse ;;

Hartmut, Apus system are identified by machine : Amiga in /proc/cpuinfo.

> #if #cpu (m68k)
>   struct d_choices keymaps_ami[]={
>     { "amiga-us",        "U.S. English (Amiga)"      , KBD_C},
>     { "amiga-de",        "Germany (Amiga)"           , KBD_de_DE}

The same goes for powerpc/apus. i would love to have a amiga-fr keymap also,
as it is the third most popular linux/m68k country after the english speaking
ones and germany. maybe a sweddish keymap would be fine also.

Friendly,

Sven LUTHER