Re: Blackhawk problems

On Wed, Nov 03, 1999 at 11:17:49AM -0800, Aaron Burt wrote:
> > I'd be happy to see someone deb Xbh...I've thought of doing it.
>
> I'll have to see what Alien does with the RPM first, then see if it can be
> done "right".  Haven't found source yet, I'll keep digging.

I thought source was on www.ppc.kernel.org somewhere.  Jeff Rugen has been
working on it lately.

> > I did a little work on the clgenfb driver (Jeff's latest version) so it
> > worked with the 5446 on PReP boxes
>
> Cool.  I trust it made it to Jeff.  Kazuoki and I are playing with
> Jeff's 2.3 patch on 2.2.
>
> > I'd love to see Jeff/someone get working clgenfb support into the
> > kernel.  A few months ago it could only do 8bit depth on PReP whereas
> > Xbh can do 16bit.  I've heard that 2.2.13 introduced a new clgenfb
> > driver that is updated from a Zorro perspective such that it breaks
> > Jeff's patches pretty horribly...it's probably time to get the driver in
> > the kernel so it can be properly maintained.
>
> Looks like it's in 2.3 now.  I doubt it'll make it into 2.2, though.
>
> > There is a _small_ problem with FB support in that currently things work
> > nicely with VGAcon and Sercon built together in the boot image.
>
> So, if I understand correctly, FB->VGA[->Serial] does not work, but
> VGA->Serial and FB->Serial does?  Meaning that FBcon and VGACon are
> currently mutually exclusive?  If so, no biggie, just trying to clarify.

You are correct, except that fallback from FB->Serial.  Once FB support is
built into the kernel, it changes the whole console init scheme.

> I am truly amazed at the work folks are putting into these PReP boxen.
> Not even NetBSD supports 'em.  I'll have to see if I can get a good deal
> on a few and send 'em around-- PC-Recycle in Kirkland, WA is lousy with
> 'em.

Think of it as "trickle down" support.  Moto. is supporting PReP work in the
kernel and Debian for their current line of PReP VME/CPCI/ATX systems and
support for older systems improves as a result. Especially since a lot of
the systems are running servers at work and home of Moto engineers. :)

--
Matt Porter
mmporter@home.com