Re: where is xfree?

Sven LUTHER <luther@maxime.u-strasbg.fr> writes:

> On Wed, Sep 22, 1999 at 03:09:42PM -0400, John Whitley wrote:
> > Sergio Brandano writes:
> >  > My X still does not work. Then I checked for an update.
> >  > I checked all the tree in potato but I could not find
> >  > any file, exept the single file xfree86-common_3.3.5-1.
> >  > Where is XFree?
> >
> > I noticed that the old xfree stuff vanished a coupled days ago when
> > the Debian XFree 3.3.5 packages were announced.  I note that the
> > source debs have hit the mirrors...
>
> It is there now, i uploaded the binary packages yesterday.

I've tested this package on a PowerBook (Lombard series), and it gives
similar symptoms to the older version of the XF68_FBDev.

If I run without acceleration, everything works fine.

If I run with acceleration it works a while, but then the entire
server crashes.

If I run Xpmac (from the LinuxPPC RPM) it works fine with acceleration,
but it messes up my "font:VGA8x8" upon switching away from X.

If I run XF68_FBDev from ftp://devel.linuxppc.org/users/trini/XFree86-3.3.5/
it seems to work with acceleration (hasn't crashed yet).

Something isn't fully compatible with the debian patching and this machine.

3.3.5 _does_ work better than 3.3.3.1, because 3.3.3.1 _always_ crashed when
it reinitialised the accel code when switching back from console to X.

/Stefan