Re: where is xfree?

On Fri, Sep 24, 1999 at 02:16:06PM +0200, Stefan Berndtsson wrote:
> Sven LUTHER <luther@maxime.u-strasbg.fr> writes:
>
> > On Wed, Sep 22, 1999 at 03:09:42PM -0400, John Whitley wrote:
> > > Sergio Brandano writes:
> > >  > My X still does not work. Then I checked for an update.
> > >  > I checked all the tree in potato but I could not find
> > >  > any file, exept the single file xfree86-common_3.3.5-1.
> > >  > Where is XFree?
> > >
> > > I noticed that the old xfree stuff vanished a coupled days ago when
> > > the Debian XFree 3.3.5 packages were announced.  I note that the
> > > source debs have hit the mirrors...
> >
> > It is there now, i uploaded the binary packages yesterday.
>
> I've tested this package on a PowerBook (Lombard series), and it gives
> similar symptoms to the older version of the XF68_FBDev.
>
> If I run without acceleration, everything works fine.
>
> If I run with acceleration it works a while, but then the entire
> server crashes.
>
> If I run Xpmac (from the LinuxPPC RPM) it works fine with acceleration,
> but it messes up my "font:VGA8x8" upon switching away from X.
>
> If I run XF68_FBDev from ftp://devel.linuxppc.org/users/trini/XFree86-3.3.5/
> it seems to work with acceleration (hasn't crashed yet).
>
> Something isn't fully compatible with the debian patching and this machine.
>
> 3.3.5 _does_ work better than 3.3.3.1, because 3.3.3.1 _always_ crashed when
> it reinitialised the accel code when switching back from console to X.

Are you saying that the previous 3.3.3.1-10 worked better for you than the
recent 3.3.5-1.1 package i compiled yesterday ?

This would mean that some patch got lost when the 3.3.4 and 3.3.5 packages
where made, or also that the previous ppc package had some home made patch
applied that was never submitted to the X team.

If such a patch exists, please send it to me, so that i can submit it upstream.

A no, i see you are speaking about Xpmac doing it better than XF68_FBDev, this
simply mean that the linuxppc guys have worked more on this, and that there was
no change to the fbdev to fix this problem. Please forward your complaints to
the linux-fbdev mailing list who know more about this.

Friendly,

Sven LUTHER