Re: where is xfree?

stefan@nocrew.org said:
> I've tested this package on a PowerBook (Lombard series), and it gives
> similar symptoms to the older version of the XF68_FBDev.

Power Mac G3/233 DT Rev 1.

> If I run without acceleration, everything works fine.

I have redraw problems (windows don't refresh when uncovered until moved) with
acceleration on, but not with accel off. However, it's dog-slow with it off.

> If I run with acceleration it works a while, but then the entire
> server crashes.

True here too, but slightly different - it crashes if running through xdm and
logged in - but a logged out xdm is fine, as is a startx'ed session (or both
at once, on :0 :1) I haven't tried without accel in xdm... but either way is
stable if startx'ed.

> If I run Xpmac (from the LinuxPPC RPM) it works fine with
> acceleration, but it messes up my "font:VGA8x8" upon switching away
> from X.

Haven't tried this...

> If I run XF68_FBDev from ftp://devel.linuxppc.org/users/trini/
> XFree86-3.3.5/ it seems to work with acceleration (hasn't crashed
> yet).

Hmm... may have to try that.

> Something isn't fully compatible with the debian patching and this
> machine.

> 3.3.5 _does_ work better than 3.3.3.1, because 3.3.3.1 _always_
> crashed when it reinitialised the accel code when switching back from
> console to X.

This was not a problem here in either case. I use 2 VT's with X and many with
shells, so I switch a lot.