Re: Phase 5 Statement on Linux for PowerPC

On Thu, 19 Aug 1999, Matt Porter wrote:
> On Thu, 19 Aug 1999, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:
> > On Thu, 19 Aug 1999, Matt Porter wrote:
> > > MCG marketing considered options like BeOS and Linux to keep producing the
> > > boxes, but as you say the market wasn't ready for that.  No MacOS, no
> > > sales.
> >
> > Do you know why Motorola didn't sue MacOS for canceling the Mac clone deal,
>
> I'm sure they could have filed suit, but all they had licensed was MacOS
> 7.  That's how the clone deal got cancelled.  Negotiations were for MacOS
> 8.  They could have continued making clones to run MacOS 7 but that was a
> deadend.

IC.

> > and/or didn't say `no MacOS, no more CPUs'?
>
> Hmmm...interesting thought. Maybe because corporate felt that we needed
> the CPU business more than the clone business.  At Motorola Semiconductor
> Product Sector has _much_ more influence on the corporation than 1200
> people at MCG.  Keep in mind that there is an alternative source for
> PowerPC's and I think that would worry SPS.  Incidentally, pulling up the
> heatsink on an MCG produced PowerStack with a 604 will reveal an IBM part.
> :)

Question is indeed whether IBM would have supplied Apple with CPUs. Note that
IBM did take revenge on Apple by canceling the contract for AIX on high-end
Apple servers. But this last fact didn't have much press coverage.

Greetings,

						Geert

--
Geert Uytterhoeven                     Geert.Uytterhoeven@cs.kuleuven.ac.be