Re: Phase 5 Statement on Linux for PowerPC

On Thu, 19 Aug 1999, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:

> On Thu, 19 Aug 1999, Matt Porter wrote:
> > On Thu, 19 Aug 1999, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:
> > > Another difference is that now the market is ready for it, while it wasn't in
> > > 1997.
> >
> > I'm still a fence-sitter on that one.  This despite the fact that I would
> > personally like a board with AGP which supports a 750 or Max! CPU.
> >
> > Here's the Moto. angle on how CHRP died (or zombified if you prefer)
> > Moto. took a Starmax which was the first "G3" machine to MacWorld and
> > showed it behind closed doors to industry heavyweights.  At the same show,
> > Apple was telling folks that they were working on their "G3" machine.
> > Estimates are that Moto. was 9 months ahead of Apple.  Negotiations for
> > licensing of MacOS 8 were in progress already.  After the show, a new
> > negotiation team was brought in from Apple and things took quite a turn
> > for the worse.
> >
> > MCG marketing considered options like BeOS and Linux to keep producing the
> > boxes, but as you say the market wasn't ready for that.  No MacOS, no
> > sales.
>
> Do you know why Motorola didn't sue MacOS for canceling the Mac clone deal,

I'm sure they could have filed suit, but all they had licensed was MacOS
7.  That's how the clone deal got cancelled.  Negotiations were for MacOS
8.  They could have continued making clones to run MacOS 7 but that was a
deadend.

> and/or didn't say `no MacOS, no more CPUs'?

Hmmm...interesting thought. Maybe because corporate felt that we needed
the CPU business more than the clone business.  At Motorola Semiconductor
Product Sector has _much_ more influence on the corporation than 1200
people at MCG.  Keep in mind that there is an alternative source for
PowerPC's and I think that would worry SPS.  Incidentally, pulling up the
heatsink on an MCG produced PowerStack with a 604 will reveal an IBM part.
:)

--
Matt Porter
mmporter@home.com