Re: debian ppc success!

On Wed, 19 May 1999, Phillip R. Jaenke wrote:

> On Wed, 19 May 1999, Andrew Hughes wrote:
>
> > Hello people,
> >
> >       Just a status report to indicate that I've successully got the
> >       debian distribution (ppc) up and running on my BeBox (2x133)
> >       using the 2.0.32 scsi kernel from the be-linux site.  Boots over
> >       the net, mounts root locally.  I'm now looking to help out with
> >       the kernel porting/bootstrap effort.
>
> Andrew;
>
> What exactly did you use to get the BeBox booting? Could you send me a
> diff against 2.0.32 vanilla and the one you compiled, if you made any
> modifications? I'd like to make sure they're in 2.2.x.

Oh Lord.  BeBox support in 2.2.x (more likely 2.3.x/2.4.0) would be neat,
and will happen, but is a ways off.  First, he's using the 2.0.32
bootdisks from 980610.  Second, BeBoxen have been mostly coaxed into
booting UP under 2.2.x.  Tho I think they're using 2.2.2 from Linus, and
don't have the MTX SMP stuff from Troy.  BeBox support (from what I can
tell) needs just a bit of work, and the people w/ the current source are a
bit busy.

---
Tom Rini (TR1265)
http://dobbstown.yeti.edu/