Re: IMPORTANT : latest bash intall fails and bash is no more usable!!!

On Wed, 7 Apr 1999, Hartmut Koptein wrote:

> Same here. I thought first it is the new libreadline, because libreadline installs
> cleanly but bash not.
> I extracted it with dpkg -x bashxxxx.deb and copied the new bash to /bin. After
> that all works again, also dpkg -i bashxxxx.deb!!! Wondering.

Well, for one I did not use apt to install bash/readline nor dselect, I
just did dpkg -i. From what I remember I installed readline first, and
then bash. I really don't remember any problem occuring. As far as
apt/dselect goes I cannot say much as I hardly ever use them, I always
install directly with dpkg. What I need to know is if there is a problem
with the bash/readline debs. do they work ok? if not, then by all means
remove them! When I'll get back to my computer I'll check the
preinst/postinst scripts to see what might be the cause of this.

Konstantinos Margaritis
kmargar@cc.uoa.gr