Re: FTP problems

On Thu, Mar 11, 1999 at 01:47:38PM -0500, Daniel Jacobowitz wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 11, 1999 at 03:29:42PM +0100, Christian Zapf wrote:
> > Hello PowerPeople
> >
> > I'd like to try to install Debian on my PowerMac box, but I'm already
> > stuck when it comes to downloading the whole binary-powerpc tree. Every
> > ftp client I tried to use for a recursive get thinks that the sym links
> > are directories, tries to "cd" there, gets an error (since it's actually
> > a link to a file), and skips. I noticed that most of these links go into
> > a few other trees, like one or two binary-all.
> >
> > Maybe I could just download the whole bin-ppc tree without these linked
> > files, and then download the few trees like this binary-all directory.
> > But I'd like to make sure that I don't miss anything.
> >
> > If anybody knows about an FTP client that can recursively download and
> > doesn't get fooled because of these links, just tell me. I have Macs,
> > PCs (NT or Linux) and Suns around me, the client does not need to be for
> > MacOS.
>
> I highly recommend using wget, and an http mirror instead of an ftp
> mirror.  It transfers symlinks as real files.

lftp ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/potato/main/binary-powerpc
mirror -c -e -L

will do the trick also, the -L option tells lftp to get the files from
symlinks.

Actually what i do is mirror binary-ppc normaly, and binary-all with the -L
option.

you can also put all this stuff in a file, and do a lftp -f filename, very
nice.

Friendly,

Sven LUTHER