Re: Gtk1.2 colo_selection widget crashes X on planar amifb fbdev X server
- To: Hartmut Koptein <email@example.com>, Richard Zidlicky <Richard.Zidlicky@stud.informatik.uni-erlangen.de>
- Cc: firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, devel@XFree86.Org, email@example.com, Geert.Uytterhoeven@cs.kuleuven.ac.be, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Subject: Re: Gtk1.2 colo_selection widget crashes X on planar amifb fbdev X server
- From: Sven LUTHER <email@example.com>
- Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 14:31:03 +0100
- Message-id: <19990312143103.A26285@maxime.u-strasbg.fr>
- Reply-to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- In-reply-to: <19990311185553.M1055@isis>; from Hartmut Koptein on Thu, Mar 11, 1999 at 06:55:53PM +0100
- References: <19990309112457.A9334@maxime.u-strasbg.fr> <199903111430.PAA18804@faui02y.informatik.uni-erlangen.de> <19990311185553.M1055@isis>
On Thu, Mar 11, 1999 at 06:55:53PM +0100, Hartmut Koptein wrote:
> > > > > i have been noticing that the color_selection widget from gtk1.2 (but also
> > > > > gtk1.1) is crashing my X server (XF68_FBDEV 184.108.40.206, on top of amifb).
> > > > >
> > > > > I don't know if this is an X server bug, a bug in gtk1.2, not handling well
> > > > > planar displays, or even a egcs bug when building gtk or the X server ...
> > > >
> > > > If the X server crahses its an X server bug. X11 is required to send you an
> > > > error for anything stupid you tell it to do
> > > >
> > >
> > > Signal 11 error ?
> > >
> > > i guess it is a generalized problem, since gnome-panel crashes also, and
> > > strangely, it even crahses the server when i relaunch it a second time, after
> > > few seconds ... :(
> > >
> > perhaps completely unrelated, but I had a few programs recently that crash
> > apparently in malloc() or similar. The programs are precompiled binaries from
> > the RH 5.1 packages - pine (without X) and acm(acms to be exact). Anyone tried
> > these with a recent kernel release? It might be more related to brk() - I had
> > similar crashes when I tried to run xemacs-19.13 which resulted from the fact
> > that brk returned addresses above 2GB.
> > I hadn't time to recompile them yet..
> Possible we should wait for the newer egcs, hopefully it will fix this nasty bugs.
how long will we have to wait ?
but i think something went really bad with my X install, now X crashes every
time, few seconds after being launched, i will try uninstalling my gnome stuff,
and reinstalling X, any chance that it is caused by installing glibc2.1 ? i
compiled X with previous versions of glibc ?
and no, i had no time to launch myself in a more complete afb X server