Re: Install of DebianPPC on a PowerMac

On Mon, Mar 01, 1999 at 03:21:13PM -0500, Kyle R. Green wrote:
> Hi.  I'm extremely intrigued by DebianPPC, as it's built from Debian

 That's because it _is_ extremely intriguing!

> I'm curious to see if anybody has successfuly installed DebianPPC on a
> PowerMac, what hardware was involved, how it was done, and the
> availability of packages for it.

 Yes. "A number" of people have installed it on powermacs.

 If you want to install it, it will help to have a powermac with two drives
and linuxPPC already installed on one of the drives.

 Format and partition a drive,

 untar the  base tarball (see mailist archive for it's net location) into place,
 delete the file; '/sbin/unconfigured.sh',
 create an appropriate '/etc/fstab' file,
 configure: /etc/init.d/network
            /etc/hostname
            /etc/nsswitch.conf,
   edit     /etc/passwd (at least touch it, probably add a user besides root)

  After this, bootX make it easy to boot with a new kernel. Try
            ftp://samba.anu.edu.au/pub/linux-pmac/

 It _really_ helped me to have another debian system (x86) to unpack .debs
so that I could get various libraries, or whatever dselect, or apt was
complaining about.

 Another thing that helped was to go very slowly at first, installing one
package at a time again, clearing up any problems as they arose.

 I believe the Debian maintainers are working hard to get an installation system
 working. You might want to save some time by waiting for a more conventional
 installation, but then, maybe not.

Craig Sadler