Re: installing debian ppc

On Sat, Feb 27, 1999 at 12:33:51AM +0100, Hartmut Koptein wrote:
> > Is there a faq or a howto or some other resource I can find on how to
> > install debian ppc? Thank you.
>
> Not yet, sorry. First the boot-floppies must work. After this i know (hopefully)
> how to setup the different powerpc subarchs. But i need also testers!!!
> Currently one for pmac and one for prep. Did the kernel-image-xxxx-pmac and
> kernel-image-xxxx-prep work for you? Please report anything that is missing --
> in the kernel and for the modules.
>
> Second request: does someone know how to write unix files in 'rawmode' for
> to pmac floppies (on pmac)?  Prep uses msdos?

We'd do this via disk images, the same way the m68k people make Mac
boot disks.

> Has somone tested BootX? OF on pmac can't boot elf-images, it will have the coff
> format? How is it on prep (ppcbug)? Booting with floppy is crasy :-(
> Tftp/bootp (netboot) should be much easier, but not everyone has an second computer.
>
> The quik package is available in the next days (need also testing). Have we other
> 'lilos' ?  What about milo?

We might want to make BootX available on the FTP somewhere, once we
figure out how to install via it...

> Knows someone the format for floppies/cdroms that OF can 'auto-start'? (format
> of the bootsector/MBR)

I don't think you can make a floppy actually bootable.  What we do on
the powermac side involves an HFS floppy and an XCOFF boot image.

Dan

|       Daniel Jacobowitz        |__|     CMU, CS class of 2002      |
|   Debian GNU/Linux Developer    __   Part-Time Systems Programmer  |
|         dan@debian.org         |  |        drow@cs.cmu.edu         |