Re: PowerPC Base Files

On Sun, 18 Oct 1998, Hartmut Koptein wrote:

> And how to do this with an prep system or apus or mbx?

PReP can boot off some sort of a cd I think.

> The easiest way is always to use boot-floppies or for the future also from
> cdrom. But powermac can only read hfs, chrp can read msdos, hfs or ntfs ...
>
> quik on prep isn't possible, what about to use silo/milo on this system?

PReP has it's own booter-type thing, PPCBug, iirc.

> Is bootx gpl free? What about to use open-firmware directly ...

BootX is GPL'ed.  Problem with OF is some machines have shitty video
drivers (tho that's not to much of a prob) and some G3s (1st gen?) have
broken OF which need patches from Apple's Multibooter to work right, or
you're stuck to a floppy.

> If i know it correct: bootx needs macos !?

Yeap.

---
Tom Rini (TR1265)
http://dobbstown.yeti.edu/