Status of Debian on the PowerMacs?

[ I posted this to debian-devel, but should have posted it here...]

I've got a friend who's finally going to get around to trying out
Linux, and the machine he's got available is a 7500 with RedHat
installed.  I'd like for him to get started with Debian, and I'm
willing to go to some trouble to get the machine converted over.

I wanted to see how much trouble this was likely to be, and where I
need to start.  What pieces do we still lack?

FWIW Dan "drow <drow@mars.abcinternet.net>" had spoken to me a while
back about this, but mail to that address bounces now.

Thanks