Re: slink Tarball Progress

Joel Klecker <jk@espy.org> writes:

> At 17:22 -0700 1998-07-23, Dan Jacobowitz wrote:
> (as an aside, an evil thought just struck me, sticking the a filesystem
> image of the whole tarball in as the ramdisk.image.gz for the kernel
> makefile and booting it, I figure it'd fit in my 64MB of RAM with enough
> room left-over to run things, this is assuming OF on a PowerMac can handle
> booting a coff image off a HFS formatted HD partition <fx: maniacal
> laughter...>).

Two things to mention here:

1. initial ramdisk size is defined to be 4 MB in the kernel
source. Unless you specify differently with boot parameter, you will
get errors for every block beond 4MB.

2. Stick the stuff to swap (or home or any other partition) instead of
ram. Thats much easier. One could even include a swapfile there so it
will work on lowmem systems. :)
Programms to rawwrite to a partition should not be to hard to
find. (Look at NetBSD, they did it this way).

3. Have a look at the e2compr patches. Using a compresse ramdisk would
save a lot of ram. How big is base? For i386 its 7 MB, lets say 8MB
because e2compr packs a bit less. That should be fine with todays
memory prices.

May the Source be with you.
			Mrvn