[Popcon-developers] popcon & derivatives

[I'm subscribed, no need to CC me]

On Mon, Jan 27, 2014 at 10:01 PM, Bill Allombert wrote:

> I would like to note that there is no consensus that using popcon data for QA
> removals is a good idea. It is not a design goal of popcon, and I do not
> want to appear encouraging it.

I'm sorry to say that people have been using popcon data as an excuse
for QA removals for a long time and it is probably too late to change
that behaviour.

> I think we should discriminate between custom distribution and derivatives.
> They are different: two systems running the same custom distribution are
> generaly much more similar than two system running the same derivative.
> Often the developement team of a custom distribution is also the sysadmin
> of the systems running it.

Your terminology is confusing to me but I think I understand the point
you are trying to make here.

> We should be careful that it is not misinterpreted as a license to abuse the
> popcon system to get higher ranking.
>
> It is hard to give general guidelines where there are some many difference,
> it should be decided on a case-by-case basis, but roughly:

I've rewritten the popcon section of the guidelines. Hopefully the new
version is acceptable to you. If it is not, please edit it as desired:

https://wiki.debian.org/Derivatives/Guidelines#popcon

> 10000 systems is not going to overtax the popcon server. So they should
> decide for themselves.

Ok thanks.

--
bye,