[Popcon-developers] Should we patch popcon to send emails even without an MTA?

On Thu, Jan 20, 2005 at 10:35:33PM +0100, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:

> [Bill Allombert]
> > Given all the above, I don't see any advantage of the built-in SMTP:
> > this is more work for get it going than installing exim4 with debconf.
>
> The advantage I see is providing those without a working MTA with an
> option they can live with.

Installing a working MTA ?

> > It is very unlikely we get more report by providing this option,
> > which was the original incentive, so I don't think we should include
> > it unless we can provide a zero-configuration set-up that work for
> > more people.
>
> Well, I suspect we might we some more reports from some of the smaller
> archs, but I do not know this.  Some of their administrators seem very
> eager to submit popcon reports. :)

There are some very lightweight MTA in Debian. Surely this is not an
issue, especially for eager administrators. (The usual issue with the
smaller arch is that they have no internet connection or are not up
frequently enough to report).

> Adding the option will give us more experience, so we can consider
> making it easier to enable later.

I submit it will do more harm than good, by increasing complexity,
leading clueless people to use this option without proper configuration,
etc. Furthermore, using built-in smtp, there is no way to report failure
to the user since there is no local mail delivery, so we are likely to
get _less_ report.

Cheers,
--
Bill. <ballombe@debian.org>