Re: Conversion of the Policy source to DocBook XML ?

Charles Plessy <plessy@debian.org> writes:

> Perhaps it would be easier to find some help if there were a visible
> agreement on acceptable new formats. DocBook XML for instance ?

I think there was already general agreement that DocBook XML was the way
to go, and even some preliminary conversion work.  The tricky part is just
getting all the pieces lined up to make it happen, and unfortunately I
personally can't help much with this (or other Debian work) until April
when my major work project finishes.  Biggest single project we've done
during the fifteen years that I've worked here, and it's completely
devoured my free time.  :/

> I have some interest in the conversion of the Policy because I would
> like to work on the integration of DEP 5. Shall I for instance prepare a
> DocBook XML version of DEP 5 and the necessary changes in debian/rules
> to build it, as a proof of principle for the conversion of the SGML
> documents?

Sure.  Note that the debconf specification is already in DocBook XML, so
there's already precedent for including that in the distribution.  I think
it's the best overall format, and I think we get a lot of simplicity out
of using the same format for everything (even though I otherwise really
like Markdown).