Conversion of the Policy source to DocBook XML ?

Le Fri, Feb 18, 2011 at 09:51:28AM -0800, Russ Allbery a écrit :

> The HTML is generated by DebianDoc-SGML, so none of this can be fixed
> until we convert Policy to a different documentation system.  The HTML
> output is from another tool and basically is what it is.
>
> Doing that conversion is something that we want to do, but no one working
> on Policy has had much free time lately.

Perhaps it would be easier to find some help if there were a visible agreement
on acceptable new formats. DocBook XML for instance ?

We also need a timing, so that the change of format is done after some patches
from the BTS are applied. Because after we change the format, the patches have
to be rewritten.

I have some interest in the conversion of the Policy because I would like to
work on the integration of DEP 5. Shall I for instance prepare a DocBook XML
version of DEP 5 and the necessary changes in debian/rules to build it, as a
proof of principle for the conversion of the SGML documents?

Note that because I tend to be overcommitted, my time line is probably slow, in
the order of a couple of monthes, but hopfully not more. But if there is
interest to do it quiclky I can push this higher on my priority list.

Have a nice day,

--
Charles Plessy
Tsurumi, Kanagawa, Japan