Re: "all" or "any" as Dependency Qualifiers

Jonathan Yu <jonathan.i.yu@gmail.com> writes:

> This is a stupid idea, and I don't know any case where it might make
> sense to do it, but it has occurred to me that Policy doesn't mention
> anything explicitly forbidding it, as far as I can tell.

> Lintian allows it through without warning about it. Presumably this is
> because nobody has ever done something like this before.

> In the current Policy (a cursory glance at Chapter 7), it's unclear
> whether it is possible to do something like:

> Depends: some-library [!all]

> or:

> Depends: some-library [all]

Sorry about the (very long) delay in replying to this message.  I had it
queued up to look at it further and then lost track of it.

Policy currently says:

    The brackets enclose a list of Debian architecture names separated by
    whitespace.  Exclamation marks may be prepended to each of the names.

all and any are not Debian architecture names.  Those are defined in
11.1.  They're special values for the Architecture field.

> I'm just not sure about the expected behaviour when the "special"
> keywords (all, any, source) are used.

They should be rejected.  Indeed, Lintian doesn't warn about this right
now except for source, nor does it warn about mixing exclamation points
and non-exclamation points in the same [] section.  I'll fix that for the
next release.