Re: does /var/games have to be deleted on purge? (if it's empty..)

Bill Allombert <Bill.Allombert@math.u-bordeaux1.fr> writes:
> On Mon, Jan 11, 2010 at 12:34:09AM -0800, Don Armstrong wrote:
>> On Wed, 06 Jan 2010, Bernhard R. Link wrote:

>>> Your data in in $HOME.

>> Not all data is in $HOME. I have lots of data which is in /srv,
>> /var/www, or other places, some of which is tightly coupled with a
>> specific set of packages.

> I think we should move to a situation where all important user-generated
> data iseither in $HOME or /srv and let /var for system data.

I mostly agree in general, but I don't know what, for instance, should be
done about database servers that have a default database location.  That
really should be in /srv under this principle, but since we can't assume
any particular file structure in /srv, we'd need to ask the user during
installation where to put the default database location.  And then it's
not clear what to do if they don't answer.