Re: does /var/games have to be deleted on purge? (if it's empty..)

Manoj Srivastava <srivasta@ieee.org> writes:
> On Sun, Jan 03 2010, Russ Allbery wrote:

>> and what the requirements of a package are around preserving or
>> removing its data other than log files and configuration files on
>> purge?  If so, that would be the relevant place to talk about whether
>> or not directories like /var/games should be removed when empty (and
>> similarly /var/games/package, /var/lib/package, etc.).

>         I think policy is currently vague about this since perhaps such
>  a decision ought to be made on a case by case basis? I can certainly
>  see the difference in preservation of data and state information for a
>  RDBMS package as being different from that of a game which is different
>  still from a clock program.  Can we be certain that the distribution is
>  best served by a one size fits all policy here?

That's a good point.  Maybe we should defer this to devref.  The Kerberos
KDC prompts, for instance, and I think the LDAP server does as well, since
losing that data can be a significant problem.  But I would expect most
games to delete their high score files and whatnot on purge.

We do seem to be pseudo-enforcing some rules around this via bug filings
based on puiparts and the puiparts results presented on the QA pages.
Those rules should probably at least be documented in the devref.