Re: does /var/games have to be deleted on purge? (if it's empty..)

On Sun, Jan 03 2010, Russ Allbery wrote:

> Should we add a section to Policy somewhere that explains the package
> states

        I think that patch of mine that added the pretty pictures of
 transitions  and states had some language about package states, taken
 from dpkg.

> and what the requirements of a package are around preserving or
> removing its data other than log files and configuration files on
> purge?  If so, that would be the relevant place to talk about whether
> or not directories like /var/games should be removed when empty (and
> similarly /var/games/package, /var/lib/package, etc.).

        I think policy is currently vague about this since perhaps such
 a decision ought to be made on a case by case basis? I can certainly
 see the difference in preservation of data and state information for a
 RDBMS package as being different from that of a game which is different
 still from a clock program.  Can we be certain that the distribution is
 best served by a one size fits all policy here?

        manoj
--
Virginia law forbids bathtubs in the house; tubs must be kept in the
yard.