Re: Automatic Debug Packages

Josselin Mouette <joss@debian.org> writes:
> Le mardi 11 août 2009 à 17:26 -0700, Russ Allbery a écrit :

>> I don't understand how what you say is related to what I said.  How
>> does having them in a separate archive affect whether or not I have to
>> download a 50GB package to get debugging symbols for KDE?  Whether that
>> download happens automatically or not, it's still a serious issue for
>> some network bandwidth profiles.

> By transparently, I mean without having to download the whole packages.

Oh, interesting.  This is the first that I've heard of that.  How would
that be done and how would the files be managed on disk on the client
system if they weren't part of a package?

> Most of our users wouldn’t have the bandwidth to debug KDE or GNOME
> packages otherwise.

If there's one debugging package per binary package, wouldn't the amount
of download bandwidth required be roughly equivalent, or at least close
enough, to any feasible per-file download mechanism for large library
collections?

>> Or using one debugging package per binary package by default, which
>> provides a level of granularity that makes this just not an issue.

> And creates other issues.

You've named one so far about which I'm dubious.  Are there any others?