Re: Automatic Debug Packages

On Tue, Aug 11 2009, Sune Vuorela wrote:

> On 2009-08-11, Manoj Srivastava <srivasta@debian.org> wrote:
>>         Hmm. I see very little benefit here. Firstly, to use build id,
>>  you have to intercept the upstream build system and add --build-id
>>  (and perhaps the --build-id-style) option to ld, instead of the current
>>  method of letting the upstream build happen and working on the produced
>>  objects -- this is more intrusive.  And what do we gain?
>
> The plan is to make --build-id the default (As it is on many other
> distributions).
>

>>   * For the "build ID" method, GDB looks in the `.build-id'
>>      subdirectory of the global debug directory for a file named
>>      `NN/NNNNNNNN.debug', where NN are the first 2 hex characters of
>>      the build ID bit string, and NNNNNNNN are the rest of the bit
>>      string.  (Real build ID strings are 32 or more hex characters, not
>>      10.)
>>
>>         So, we would still need to create   "/usr/lib/debug/"
>>  . /full/path/to/lib_or_binary/ in either case, and instead of the
>
> no. it would be /usr/lib/debug/.build-id/NN/NNNNNN.debug

        Right. Mostly human unreadable.

>>  lib-or-exec name, create NN/NNNNNNNN.debug file there (which is non
>>  human readable, really). What have we gained? There is no potential for
>>  file name conflicts, since if there are file name conflicts in the
>>  debug symbol files, there would be file name conflicts in the
>>  corresponding packages, which is already a bug in Debian.
>>
>>         I see added complexity with no real benefit for us: it might
>>  have value in an environment where file conflicts are not verboten.
>
> And the next step is to provide /usr/lib/debug/.build-id exported from
> some internet service so that you download debugging symbols on demand,
> for example thru drkonqi or bug-buddy or maybe directly with gdb.

        You can just export /usr/lib/debug/ from the central service
 equally easily, no difference there -- you can just provide the current
 Sid/testing/stable snapshot.

> Having a reliable way of getting from a random library version and
> random executable version to get the exact corresponding debug symbols,
> the build-id method is just much more reliable.

        Except you have not indicated how you (or debhelper) is going to
 intercept ld to add the requisite arguments.

        manoj
--
Murray's Rule: Any country with "democratic" in the title isn't.