Re: Automatic Debug Packages

Le mardi 11 août 2009 à 13:03 -0700, Russ Allbery a écrit :
> * These packages are normal Debian packages with normal package metadata,
>   but will generally have a symlink in /usr/share/doc/<package> pointing
>   to the package for which they provide debugging information.

Actually I don’t see the point in this symlink. It only makes things
more complicated, especially if there is no one-to-one mapping between
ddebs and debs.

> Open questions:
>
> * Can we limit this package namespace to *only* detached debugging
>   symbols, not all the other sorts of debugging packages that people
>   create with special compiler options or optional code features?

I think we should. The purpose of the proposal is to automate as much as
possible, not to open a new section where anyone can dump anything.

> * What about contrib and non-free packages?  Do they just lose here?

How about yes?

> * Can we require a one-to-one correspondance between binary package names
>   and debug package names that provide symbols for that binary package?  I
>   think we should; I think it would make the system more straightforward.

If we use build IDs (and this has quite some advantages, like being able
to do more than just dump the ddebs on a repository), this can lead to
having the same detached debugging symbols in two binary packages, since
sometimes a binary is built twice the same exact way and put in two
different binary packages. Using a single ddeb for the source package
avoids such issues. Alternatives imply to generate automatically lots of
Replaces and Conflicts fields, and this is just too fragile.

The consensus on #debian-dak when we discussed this specific issue was
to use one ddeb for each source package by default, and to let the door
open to the maintainer overriding this default with several ddebs in a
source, using a new header in the control file. This way we can keep
things as simple as possible, without losing the possibility to handle
corner cases that will arise.

Cheers,
--
 .''`.      Josselin Mouette