Re: Automatic Debug Packages

On Tue, Aug 11 2009, Emilio Pozuelo Monfort wrote:

> Manoj Srivastava wrote:

>>         OK, I guess that would work. But you still have the advantage,
>>  using the current debug link mechanism, of looking to see if you have
>>  debug symbols for a given executable/library easily, without having to
>>  compute potentially 3 checksums (depending on which algorithm was
>>  selected at build time) and trying to match that (in multiple
>>  directories).
>
> If you have the .ddeb package installed, you will have the debugging symbols
> installed :)

        I guess that is true. Figure out which package the executable
 belongs to, check to see that the -ddeb package exists.

>>         Can you  point ot me the disadvantage of continuing to use what
>>  dh_strip does now?
>
> It can still be used, but you will miss the advantages of using build ids.

        I guess I was trying to ask what the advantages were, apart from
 the CRC check overhead that is skipped on load.  I presume that the crc
 check sum has been demonstrated to be onerous. Are there any other
 advantages I am missing?

        manoj
--
innovate, v.: To annoy people.