Re: Automatic Debug Packages

On Sat, Aug 08 2009, Emilio Pozuelo Monfort wrote:

> [ Moving to debian-policy ]
>
> Manoj Srivastava wrote:

>>> OK, so you mean I should document the ddeb format (which is that of
>>> .deb packages) and possibly include it in policy? That makes sense, if
>>> you want that I'll propose a patch for policy (note that udebs are not
>>> documented though).
>>
>>         But regular packages are not creating udebs; and the whole idea
>>  behind "automated" ddeb creation is that the ./debian/rules file
>>  optionally creates ddebs. Since this affects the majority of packages,
>>  I think we need to be clear up front about ddeb creation.
>
> I've documented the .ddeb format in the wiki page [1] ("DDeb Format",
> which is short since the format is basically that of .debs). Do we
> really need this to be documented in policy?

        Not if that is all that is. So ddebs are just  -dbg packages
 renamed to foo_version_arch.ddeb (you do not need ddeb in the name
 since they are called .ddebs.)

        The wiki does not seem to impose any additional rules on the
 ddebs (I assume that all the restrictions on a normal package still
 apply).

        Seems like then all that is needed is to build the package as
 normal, and after the dpkg invocation to build the package, one just
 adds a call to mv. This is simple.

        manoj

The link to the wiki page was missing
 http://wiki.debian.org/AutomaticDebugPackages

--
The meek shall inherit the earth, but not its mineral rights. Paul Getty