Re: Automatic Debug Packages

On Mon, Aug 10 2009, Philipp Kern wrote:

> On 2009-08-10, Manoj Srivastava <srivasta@debian.org> wrote:
>>> dpkg "knows" about them the same way it "knows" about debs, AFAICS.
>>         Why, then, the .ddeb suffix? Why are these not just .debs, with
>>  a specific naming schema?
>
> At least they shouldn't clash with maintainer-defined ones,

        Sure. But that is as simple as the helper package looking at
 debian/control to see if a -dbg package is already defined, and not
 doing the automagic thingy.

        In other words, let the maintainer simply override the auto helper
 tool if they so desire.

> IMHO, as they are created differently.

        This should not matter. Whether you use debhelper or cdbs or
 yada, the end package is still a .deb -- so how  a package containing
 debug symbols is created should not impact the naming. The important
 thing is the content of the package, not how it was assembled.

> The main point is probably that they shouldn't live in the main
> archive due to space reasons.  Of course we could also filter out
> '*-ddeb*' or '*-dbgsym*' as long as it's not '*-dbg*', which should be

        Id automated debug packages should not live in the archive, why
 should -dbg packages? As far as I can see, the issue should be based on
 the content of the debug packages; either debug packages belong in the
 archive, or they do not; independent of the tool chain used to assemble
 them.

> dropped at some point but should live in the main archive if present
> as they're defined in debian/control.

        They should be dropped iff the automated tools can create the
 package; I doubt that the authors envisage 100% coverage (upstream
 build systems are varied enough that 100% coverage would require AI
 like capabilities).

        manoj
--
"Patriotism is an arbitrary veneration of real estate above principles."
George Jean Nathan