Re: Environment variables, debian/rules and dpkg-buildpackage

On Wed, Mar 18, 2009 at 06:23:55PM +0100, Bill Allombert wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 18, 2009 at 09:53:46AM +0100, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> > So according to your rule that policy should standardize "common practice"
> > and not mandate something completely new, the env variable proposal is in
> > more widespread usage.
>
> For ten years, the "common practice" was that dpkg-buildpackage did not set
> any variable.
>
> We cannot standardize on the "env variable proposal" because such proposal
> has never be made. Instead dpkg-buildpackage was broken in Lenny, and should
> be fixed ASAP. Now we have packages that do not build correctly with
> dpkg-buildpackage, others that do not build correctly with debian/rules
> binary, and all handle env var differently.

Exactly.

dpkg-buildpackage setting environment variables is broken.  Using make
to set site/distro/user-specific options makes more sense.  Not only is
it more flexible and extensible, it will also work no matter how one
builds the package since make will handle it.

Regards,
Roger

--
  .''`.  Roger Leigh