Re: Environment variables, debian/rules and dpkg-buildpackage

On Wed, Mar 18, 2009 at 09:53:46AM +0100, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> So according to your rule that policy should standardize "common practice"
> and not mandate something completely new, the env variable proposal is in
> more widespread usage.

For ten years, the "common practice" was that dpkg-buildpackage did not set
any variable.

We cannot standardize on the "env variable proposal" because such proposal has
never be made. Instead dpkg-buildpackage was broken in Lenny, and should be
fixed ASAP. Now we have packages that do not build correctly with
dpkg-buildpackage, others that do not build correctly with debian/rules binary,
and all handle env var differently.

Cheers,
--
Bill. <ballombe@debian.org>