Re: Environment variables, debian/rules and dpkg-buildpackage

On Mon, 16 Mar 2009, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
>         And you are missing the point that making people type stuff on
>  the command line for site specific stuff looses out to being able to
>  edit a conffile instead.

Who said the command line was for site-specific stuff?

In my proposition the hierarchy could be something like this:
- distribution default (encoded in dpkg-buildpackage or in a /etc/dpkg/origins/ file)
- site-specific (/etc/dpkg/dpkg-buildpackage.conf)
- package specific (inside debian/rules)
- user specific (command line options)

In my opinion, the origin of the variable is not important, the only
important part is to specifiy in policy how the value is communicated to
the rules file.

> > Do you have a solution to that ? If no, then there was no point in
>
>         Of course I do.
>         This is precisely what the origin function is for.

Then it would have been nice to point it out directly instead of making
fun of me while I made it clear that I have read the whole section about
variables (where there was no reference to this origin function).

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog

Contribuez à Debian et gagnez un cahier de l'admin Debian Lenny :
http://www.ouaza.com/wp/2009/03/02/contribuer-a-debian-gagner-un-livre/