Re: Standard to indicate repacking in version numbers?

Luca Capello <luca@pca.it> writes:

> - debian-policy_3.7.3.0, § 12.5, reported above by Russ, doesn't sound
>   so clear to me (but I'm not an English native speaker).
>
>   Let's say that I grab foo from foo.alioth.d.o, then I remove some
>   non-DFSG-free material and I repackage the orig.tar.gz: the upstream
>   sources are still obtained from foo.alioth.d.o.

Well, no, they're not -- they're obtained by combining your repackaging
work with a tarball from foo.alioth.d.o, and only saying that they come
from foo.alioth.d.o would be omitting some information about where the
upstream sources came from.

But I'm certainly not opposed to clarifying.

> - developers-reference_3.3.8 (11 November, 2006, the version available
>   on sid...), § 6.7.8.2:
>
>     A repackaged .orig.tar.gz
>
>     1. must contain detailed information how the repackaged source was
>        obtained, and how this can be reproduced, in README.Debian-source
>        or a similar file.

> - developers-reference_3.3.9 (04 August, 2007, available *only* on
>   www.d.o), § 6.7.8.2:
>
>     A repackaged .orig.tar.gz
>
>     1. must contain detailed information how the repackaged source was
>        obtained, and how this can be reproduced in the debian/copyright.

Yeah, this was updated after the previous debian-mentors discussion.

> - on 04 December, 2007, I asked on #debian-devel about where I should
>   have explained how I repackaged thinkinger and the answer was duplex:
>   debian/copyright if the explanation was simple or debian/README.Source
>   if more complex (which I chose, since I prefer to be more verbose)

I don't see any reason not to put it in debian/copyright no matter how
long it is.  It's not like the length of a text explanation, even if
complex, is going to be a serious problem.

However, ideally the steps should be *automated* and put into debian/rules
get-orig-source, in which case you don't have to give detailed steps in
either location and can simply refer to the automated procedure in
debian/rules get-orig-source, which if used by the maintainer also has the
benefit of being tested.