Re: Standard to indicate repacking in version numbers?

Andreas Tille <tillea@rki.de> writes:

> I agree with that we should have a common pattern.  But I would vote for
> a neutral extension not trying to describe the reasons for repackaging.
> Some kind of <name>_<version>.repack.tar.gz comes to mind.  This makes
> clear that a changed upstream tarball is used.  Those tarballs should
> feature a mandatory debian/README.repack which states clearly the
> reasons for the repackaging and debian/rules should have a mandatory
> get-orig-source target.

We went back and forth on this several times on debian-mentors and I think
everyone finally agreed that debian/copyright is the correct place to
explain any repackaging of the upstream source.  Since debian/copyright is
the standard place to explain where the upstream source came from, it's
the logical place for that information to go.  Please let's not add a new
documentation file that isn't automatically collected by the PTS,
packages.d.o, etc.