Re: Breaks in lenny

Joey Hess dijo [Tue, Dec 18, 2007 at 05:16:17PM -0500]:
> Russ Allbery wrote:
> > Well, basically every discussion about this that I've seen on -devel,
> > discussions on -mentors, the teams that I'm familiar with (pkg-perl is
> > standardizing on quilt
>
> I'm a member of pkg-perl, and 52 packages out of ~500 use quilt. We also
> have 20 packages using dpatch, and 45 using dbs. One or two pkg-perl
> members like quilt, others, such as myself, find it of dubious benefit
> on top of a proper version control system (though certianly better than
> dbs!).

The benefit is small if you (or your group, in any case) are the only
person working on the package - but as soon as somebody else tries to
make sense of your patches -possibly by running dpkg-source -x over
its dsc- it all becomes unclear. Having named, independent patches
_is_ much clearer for the adopter, the NMUer and similar cases.

PGP key 1024D/8BB527AF 2001-10-23