Re: Breaks in lenny

On Wed, 19 Dec 2007 17:55:43 -0600, Gunnar Wolf <gwolf@gwolf.org> said:

> Manoj Srivastava dijo [Tue, Dec 18, 2007 at 06:40:25PM -0600]:
>> Are you suggesting that somehow dpatch/quilt would have been even
>> more effective?  How do you quickly get diffs between several
>> parrallel lines of development that I am trying out from a quilt'ed
>> patch set?

> IMHO, the use cases are fundamentally different here - dpatch and
> quilt are, in my eyes, mostly geared towards diffs used by packagers,
> not as much by developers.

        Can you qualify why you hold such an opinion? I ask because I
 mostly disagree; I see no fundamental difference is
 creating/maintaining separate lines of development or added feature
 sets, or even bug fixes (because, fundamentally, bug fixes and
 behaviour changes are similar in nature; the difference being in the
 opinions about the behaviour before the change being inherently
 undesirable).

        In either case, Isee the need to have these lines of
 development; each of which is about a new feature, or otherwise a
 change in behaviour (like, you know, bug fixes), and the features one
 requires for a tool set that allows for creating, updating, and sending
 off to other people the changes they need to make in their tree in
 order to gain the change in behaviour as being exactly the same.

        Could you point to why you think the requirements should be
 different, and why the changes developers track are different from what
 a packager needs to track?

        Mind you, I think a Debian developer ought to be somewhat
 involved in upstream development anyway, but that is a personal
 idiosyncrasy of mine.

> Most Debian work is, of course, packaging. In the case of devotee, I
> am sure dpatch/quilt are not in a better position than any other
> diffing solution. But for figuring out changesets in Debian packages,
> I ofteh find them to be the right tool.

        Again, you are expressing an opinion, without giving us a hint
 as to how you arrived at such a conclusion. Care to share?

        manoj
--
Ninety-Ninety Rule of Project Schedules: The first 90% of the task takes
90% of the time, and the last 10% takes the other 90%.