Re: Breaks in lenny

Bernd Zeimetz <bernd@bzed.de> writes:

>> Best practice is to use a proper revision control system (one which can
>> do patch stack management if that's desired) and generate a
>> consolidated .dsc/.diff.gz for people who don't want to get to grips
>> with it.

> Which will only give useful results if we have a central repository for
> all packages. If $RANDOM maintainer uses his own machine to host a
> repository and goes MIA, you'll be left with one large and messy patch
> as you don't have access to the maintainer's repository.  While using a
> RCS is not a bad idea, maintainers would need to be forced to use alioth
> - that's nothing you can force people to easily.  A proper collection of
> patches - including descriptions - is the best way at the moment.

The long-term possibility, which I think Ian may be alluding to without
saying directly, is that some people are working on being able to ship the
repository with the source package.  If you're using something like bzr or
git, you can then immediately start using regular VCS tools on the source
package and the right thing will happen.

The potential drawback is that the repository may become huge, and we have
to figure out at what point we cut off past history in the source package.