Re: Breaks in lenny (was Re: Task list for a policy release)

> Best practice is to use a proper revision control system (one which
> can do patch stack management if that's desired) and generate a
> consolidated .dsc/.diff.gz for people who don't want to get to grips
> with it.

Which will only give useful results if we have a central repository
for all packages. If $RANDOM maintainer uses his own machine to host
a repository and goes MIA, you'll be left with one large and messy
patch as you don't have access to the maintainer's repository.
While using a RCS is not a bad idea, maintainers would need to be
forced to use alioth - that's nothing you can force people to easily.
A proper collection of patches - including descriptions - is the best
way at the moment.

--
Bernd Zeimetz
<bernd@bzed.de>                         <http://bzed.de/>