Re: First draft of review of policy must usage

On Thu, Oct 26, 2006 at 09:37:33PM -0300, Otavio Salvador wrote:
> > There's nothing in the constitution that says RMs are *bound* by policy's
> > definition of what is or isn't a release-critical bug, either.

> Neither there's something there that says RM are allowed to ignore the policy.

But the burden of proof isn't on me here; you're the one trying to assert
that there's something *wrong* with what the RMs are doing.

> > Anyway, it doesn't make sense to make POSIX sh an RC requirement for etch at
> > this stage of the release cycle, but I would be in favor of the release team
> > endorsing 0-day NMUs for any such bugs.  I'll discuss this with Andi.

> If the POSIX sh affect the usability of the package it's a RC
> bug. It'll make the package useless to people using dash as shell, for
> example. See bellow:

> ,----[ http://www.debian.org/Bugs/Developer.en.html#severities ]
> | grave
> |     makes the package in question unusable or mostly so, or causes
> |     data loss, or introduces a security hole allowing access to the
> |     accounts of users who use the package.
> `----

"Unusable or mostly so" does not mean "unusable in select, minority
configurations explicitly enabled by the user."  dash as /bin/sh is a corner
case, not the common case; which means such bugs do not in fact meet the
definition of "grave".

They are nevertheless *significant* bugs in those packages (one might even
call them, er... "important" bugs), and Andi has agreed with me that these
are good candidates for 0-day NMUs, so this will be mentioned in an upcoming
mail to d-d-a.