Re: First draft of review of policy must usage

Wouter Verhelst <wouter@debian.org> writes:

> On Fri, Oct 27, 2006 at 09:04:51AM -0300, Otavio Salvador wrote:
>> Steve Langasek <vorlon@debian.org> writes:
>> > "Unusable or mostly so" does not mean "unusable in select, minority
>> > configurations explicitly enabled by the user."  dash as /bin/sh is a corner
>> > case, not the common case; which means such bugs do not in fact meet the
>> > definition of "grave".
>>
>> Well... I didn't know that sererity of bugs depend of how many users
>> can be affected. Using thise criterea you might them reduce the
>> severity of GRUB and Parted RC bugs since them won't affect too much users.
>
> That's crap, and you know it.
>
> First, having dash as /bin/sh is not so much of a problem as you seem to
> imply -- I've been running my system that way for ages, and can only
> remember two cases in which it caused any problems.
>
> Second, "unusable or mostly so" should be read as "almost all users who
> install this package will encounter the bug". If you configure your
> system to do something valid which triggers the bug (but that
> configuration is not very common), then almost all users who install the
> package will *not* encounter the bug, so it's not grave (but still
> important).

When I deal with my packages I put that kinda of bug in
'grave'. Doesn't mind to me if the affected group is 1 or 1k people.

I'm talking about /bin/sh but it's far from that simple
problem. That's the way people are handling bugs. In my POV the text
that define the 'grave' severity doesn't say that you should ponder on
how many people will be affected by the bug and then that shouldn't be
used as a messure.

--
        O T A V I O    S A L V A D O R
 E-mail: otavio@debian.org      UIN: 5906116